Michael Clark Latham Davis – Blackfoot, Idaho 1979

On February 7, 1979, young mother Pam Davis awoke and found her two-month old child Michael Clark Latham Davis dead in his crib of a massive skull fracture. His death has been ruled a homicide. Pam lived outside of Blackfoot, Idaho on Riverton Road at the time.

A 1979 news story lists the following adults in the home at the time of Michael’s death, and all were given polygraphs by the police department: Pam Davis (mother), Eddie Turner, John Davis (father), Jack Moore, Paula Hernandez, and Debbie Goodwin. Pam Davis is not considered a suspect in her son’s death.

Twenty five years after his death, Blackfoot detectives notified Pam her son’s case had been reopened due to new information. Contact the Bingham County Sheriff’s Office if you have information about the death of Michael Davis.

Read more here from the Post Register 

Printed on: August 01, 2007

Cold case, new information?


Post Register

Blackfoot detectives are seeking new leads on old unsolved crimes.

BLACKFOOT — Right now, it’s a cold case with lukewarm information that could get hotter with more information.

Blackfoot detectives say they are close to solving the 1979 death of Michael Clark Davis, a 10-week-old infant who died from severe head trauma and multiple skull fractures. But they still need more information before they can make an arrest, and they hope community members can help them.

“It’s been a long time. We hope that people that might have been afraid to say something will come forward,” said Paul Newbold, a detective with the combined Blackfoot and Bingham County detective unit.

Although Newbold wouldn’t disclose specifics about the evidence, people have already provided valuable tips.

“People that were around back then have matured. What they dismissed earlier is important because they have kids now and sympathize with the mother,” he said.

The new investigation has turned up a “person of interest,” but Newbold won’t say what makes that person interesting to the case.

Michael was found 28 years ago in his crib by his mother, Pam (Davis) Richards.

“I can’t remember what happened before and after I found him, but I can remember how I screamed and I held him,” she said.

During the investigation that followed, Richards and the other eight people living in the household were interviewed. The cause of Michael’s death was ruled undetermined.

For years, Richards said she would call the detectives working her son’s case, asking whether they had anything. The detectives said there was nothing they could do.

But on the 25th anniversary of her son’s death, Richards received a call from Newbold, who said he was reopening the case because of some new information he’d received.

“I was so excited,” Richards said. “I thought it was going to take a matter of months for them to solve the case.”

Newbold sent photographs and evidence to a forensic pathologist, who decided Michael hadn’t died from shaking or from any accidental causes.

“It was definitely homicide,” Newbold said.

Three years later, however, Richards is still waiting for an answer.

Newbold said the investigation is going slow because of the evidence that needs to be collected and that the detectives have other cases to work.

“We have one shot at doing this and doing it correctly,” Newbold said.

While the detectives take their time, Richards has been on an emotional roller coaster.

“It’s not anger, it’s not happiness. It’s just emotion,” she said. “I’m in it for the long haul.”

Davis poster